We know how much you love to make your home twinkly and beautiful for the festive season. Friends and family gather, centred around feasting, entertaining and gift giving. We have put together some sparkling ideas to help you create a magical, memorable willow winter wonderland. Celebrate in stylish surroundings and ensure everyone has a warm welcome in your home this Christmas.
Oh Christmas tree… dressing your tree the willow way
Following our post on Christmas tree traditions, here is quick reminder on creating the Christmas magic and decorating your tree willow style.
- Use warm white fairy lights (lots of them)
- Keep it simple and paired back remember the lights are also a decoration
- Pick a few key baubles designs that are your favourite maybe they are all different but in similar colours. These ones will be your foundations to your tree design.
- Choose warmer colours and tones in the decorations – antiqued metals and subtle sparkle
- Fill in any large gaps with smaller decorations or baubles
Try not to overload the tree with too many decorations or clashing colours. No coloured lights and absolutely NO tinsel (sorry).
All is calm, all is bright… Lighting and ambience
At this time of year Willow is known for our soft, calm twinkly Christmas fairy lights both on the inside and outside of the shop and our selection of scented candles. The beautiful festive scents from St Eval fill the shop and create the winter wonderland in the lead up to Christmas. This is a great way to create the atmosphere from the moment your guests arrive; the candles provide not only the sumptuous scent but creates a calm cosy glow. You can place them in a hurricane lantern or even style them on a tray with some foliage and our mixed spice potpourri with orange and cinnamon around the bases of the candles. When it comes to fairy lights we always use warm white lighting as we have found cool or ice white can create quite a harsh atmosphere. Soft and serene is the willow winter wonderland look.
Now bring us some figgy pudding… Christmas table magic
When planning your Christmas feast, it’s easy to put all your efforts into the food, crockery and trimmings. Creating a decadent and charming table with beautiful, yet simple place settings is the first impression and sets the scene. We have highlighted some key ideas to help you create some magic at the Christmas table.
- Add a table runner or two across the table depending on its size
- Create calm soft lighting with candles. These can be in t-light holders to create scattered glow and sparkle or just in two or three statement lanterns along the table .
- Add natural foliage or branches with tiny fairy lights weaved through.
- Set up your place settings layering the plates with a napkin placed on top. To finish place a bauble or decorative sprig of foliage.
- Remember you need to be able to put down all your yummy food and get to it whilst chatting to family and friends so again don’t over do it!
Deck the Halls… the first glimpse of sparkle
Dazzle your guests from that very first impression. Add a touch of sparkle to your entry and hallway and try the following fabulous ideas:
- A rustic natural looking Christmas wreath on the front door is a great way to welcome your guests.
- Fill a glass bowl or hurricane lantern with fairy lights on a thin wire
- Try a basket with a few larger baubles arranged in it
- A tray on a console with some festive foliage or our mixed spice potpourri with a few t-light holders nestled amongst it.
Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh… and how to wrap stylishly
Gift-wrapping has to be one of our favourite parts in the Christmas preparation. We love to use just simple brown paper and some brown string, paired with a some festive foliage or a pinecone to finish it off. A rustic simple and stylish look. You can add a pop of colour with some festive ribbon or coloured string to complete the look. A perfect parcel wrapped with love.
Stockings hung and carols sung.. stocking fillers
We have a gorgeous selection of little gifts perfect for stocking fillers. If you are stuck for ideas, head over to the Christmas page where you will find something for everyone. From pampering treats for her such as the Plum and Ashby breathe and relax gift set or an array of simple and stylish games and accessories such as the Mango wood cards and dice set.
Oh rest ye merry gentlemen… the guest bedroom
When welcoming friends and family into our home at Christmas we want to make them feel relaxed and comfortable. It is nice to offer guests that are staying some space to have time to themselves and sleep soundly. Have a look at the guest bedroom, is it an inviting cosy space for guests to relax in after all the celebrations?
Ensuring there is somewhere for them to unpack their belongings, such as a stylish chest of drawers. A bedside table with a lamp to create a calm environment. One of our favourites is the Concrete bullet lamp. Why not go the extra mile and fill a small basket with some essentials such as cotton pads, a hand cream toothpaste and other toiletries.
Raise a glass for everyone..Lucy and jeans favourite Christmas tipple
Mulled wine of course!
We hope this helps you in creating your very own willow winter wonderland. We would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas filled with love, magic and sparkle from our home at willow to yours.